The pain is located at the neck and is sharp, manifesting as a burn or as an electric shock, moving from the tip of the neck to the tip of the head, on both sides. Usually, the pain starts from the cervical spine and is caused by osteoarthritis or secondary injury due to mechanical actions. Occipital neuralgia is not as common as migraine or tension headache, but is often mistaken for these.Occipital neuralgia can be a symptom accompanying more serious conditions such as: cervical spine tumors, gout, diabetes, osteoarthritis or chronic spasm of the cervical musculature, therefore, a correct diagnosis can only be made by the neurologist.Treatment
The treatment plan established by the neurologist can start from a few “home remedies” in case of mild occipital neuralgia: relaxation techniques, yoga or hot / cold compresses at the neck. If the pain does not respond to these attempts to remedy “at home”, there is also the variant of complementary therapies: kinetotherapy, acupuncture, massage or electrical stimulation trans-cutaneous.
The neurologist may recommend simultaneously with “home” remedies or complementary therapies. Of primary indication are: non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, antidepressants, anticonvulsants or muscle relaxants.
Your doctor will determine which of these medicines is best for you. However, many patients complain about the inefficiency of the medication.
HEAD’s UP therapy with Cefaly Dual and Arnold Neuralgia
Cefaly Dual, the innovative device that has already reached dozens of migraine patients in Romania and already used by over 200,000 people worldwide, can also be used for Arnold neuralgia. Using a special kit (consisting of a gel for high conductivity and a special electrode), the device used to treat migraines can also act on the occipital nerve (Arnold nerve).
How does it work?
- The device was launched in Europe in September 2018, for acute migraine prevention and treatment. It is also effective in treating tension headache and Arnold Neuralgia.
- It’s approved by the FDA (US) and the European Community.
- It uses transcutaneous electrical stimulation on the most important branch of the Arnold nerve.
- It is easy to use: the device is positioned on the forehead with an elastic gel band, and during use the patient can perform his usual activities.
- The device has two settings: acute treatment (one hour) and preventive treatment (daily, 20 minutes).
If for migraines, patients can reduce the occurrence by up to 85%, in the case of Arnold Neuralgia, the clinical results say that over 50% of patients who have used Cefaly Dual with Arnold kit, have experienced significant improvement of lifestyle, reducing painful attacks.
More about HEAD’s UP therapy and its benefits against migraines, here
More information on fees for HEAD’s UP therapy for Arnold Neuralgia, here.